- Our Programmes
- Innovation Programme
- Country Programmes
- Our Themes
- Global Programmes
Femmedina Conference "Fostering Women's Leadership in the City”
Follow the event on Cities Alliance in Tunisia Facebook page.
How can spatial justice be strengthened to build egalitarian cities for all? How can women's participation contribute to more inclusive and safe public spaces?
As part of the Femmedina project, which aims to rehabilitate and activate public spaces in the historic district of Tunis through a broad-based process of women's and citizens' participation, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Cities Alliance is organizing a half-day seminar in collaboration with the Municipality of Tunis. The seminar will bring together Tunisian experts, local and national government representatives, community members, women's organizations and women active in Medina.
The aim of the event is to present the recommendations that have been developed as part of participatory research conducted in early 2021 to collect the voices, experiences, perceptions, and expectations of women in the Medina of Tunis, and to discuss the possibilities of including women's needs in the development strategy of the Medina, in particular around their economic empowerment.
Welcome and presentation of keynote speakers
- Wided Daykhi, President of the Commission for Women, Family and the Elderly
- Souad Abderrahim, Mayor of Tunis
- Hind Houas, Senior Specialist in Democracy and Governance, USAID Tunisia
- Giulia Maci, Urban Specialist and Gender Focal Point, Cities Alliance (UNOPS)
- Imen Zouhouani Houimel, Minister for Women, Family and the Elderly
Femmedina: Inclusive City Program in Tunis
- Henda Abbes, President of the Sidi Béchir neighbourhood - Presentation of the project and of the objectives of the atelier
- Leila Ben-Gacem, BlueFish - Presentation of the results of the participatory research on the inclusion of women in the Medina of Tunis
- Ikbel Dridi, Urban Specialist, Cities Alliance - The next steps of the Femmedina project
Towards a public space more adapted to women's needs
Introduction and moderation: Raja Gmir, Municipal councellor
- Hedia Belhaj Youssef, Coordinator of the GBV Programme, Center for Arab Women Training and Research (CAWTAR) - Towards women empowerment in the Medina
- Hana Ben Said, Rania Krimi and Sabrine Zouaghi - The experience of women elected at the municipal level
- Wafa Touihri, Sociologist and university professor - What place for women in the public space
Discussion on Women's participation in the public space through the example of women artisans moderated by Wissem Hammami, Roumouz
Henda Bel Haj Ali, President of the Gender Equality Commission