- Our Programmes
- Innovation Programme
- Country Programmes
- Our Themes
- Global Programmes
Together with the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs SECO and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation BMZ, Cities Alliance is hosting the session 'Leaving no one in Cities behind: Addressing Inequalities through Resilient Infrastructure' during the World Urban Forum in Katowice.
Cities have a pivotal role in addressing the climate crisis. They are home to over half of the world’s population and hotspots of global warming, producing three-quarters of global GHG emissions. Cities are also the places where the effects of climate change and urban poverty intersect.
The two billion people living and working in the informal sector – around 60 per cent of the labour force – are especially at risk from climate impacts. Many live in areas prone to weather-related hazards, and they are already vulnerable due to poverty, lack of services, and the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
During the WUF11 session Leaving No One in Cities behind: Addressing Inequalities through Resilient Infrastructure, co-organized by Cities Alliance, SECO and BMZ, a panel will discuss the potential of creating resilient infrastructure to address inequalities in cities, showcasing the importance and the business case for local adaptation efforts.
The experts will discuss the expectations and experiences of the international donor community on infrastructure implementation and the strategies of a receiving country like Uganda with their infrastructure planning and answers for resilient, climate-proofed growth. The panellists will highlight viable strategies and policy approaches available to plan and create resilient infrastructure while discussing the need for safeguards and the right instruments for an inclusive approach.
Moderator: Pasquale Capizzi - Associate Director and Climate Change Lead at ARUP
Keynote: Julian Baskin, Principle Urban Advisor, Cities Alliance
- Hon. Obiga Kania, Minister of State for Urban Development, Uganda
- Dagmar Vogel, Head of Division, Infrastructure Financing, Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs
- Alexander Kleibrink, Deputy Head of Division, Urban Development, Social and Environmental Transformation and Feminist Development Policy, German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Sarah Nandudu, Deputy Chair of Slum Dwellers International (SDI)
- Marcus Mayr, Coordinator Urban and Municipal Development Fund, African Development Bank