- Our Programmes
- Innovation Programme
- Country Programmes
- Our Themes
- Global Programmes
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Kampala, Uganda
Regional Dialogue on Rural to Urban Migration and Urban Expansion Planning in the Horn of Africa
The regional dialogue, organized under the Cities Alliance Cities and Migration Programme, will convene ministerial and city stakeholders from Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, and Uganda to discuss urban expansion planning and its potential to make room for a growing urban population in secondary cities.
The high-level event will count with the participation of:
- Honorable Minister Ms Aisha Mohammed, Minister for Urban Development and Construction, Ethiopia.
- Honorable Minister Mr Issac Musumba, Ugandan Minister of State for Lands, Housing and Urban Development, Uganda.
- Ms Simone Giger, Head of the Global Programme on Migration and Development, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation.
- Ms Angela Hawken, Director of the NYU Marron Institute of Urban Management.
- Juan Nicolas Galarza Sanchez, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, Colombia.
- Ms Claudia Marinaro, Attachée, Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Uganda
- Mr Tingirtu Gebretsadik Tekle, Director of International Relations Affairs and Director of the Institute for Migration and Displacement Studies (IMDS) at Jigjiga University, Ethiopia.
View the full Participant List
The event will span two days and cover a range of topics. Key sessions:
- Alternative urban planning approaches to make room for urban population growth. Presented by Mr Patrick Lamson-Hall, Urban Planner and Research Scholar, New York University
- Urban expansion planning in Latin America with a focus on Colombia and land tenure systems. Presented by Juan Nicolas Galarza Sanchez, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development of the Government of Colombia.
- Options to finance urban expansion planning and implementation. Presented by Ms Tsigereda Tafesse, Urban Expansion Planning Expert, Cities Alliance.
- Testimony from Ethiopian cities: The relevance of the urban expansion approach to make room for new city residents which is socially and economically inclusive and environmentally sustainable.
Learn more about Urban Expansion: