- Our Programmes
- Our Themes
- Country Programmes
- Global Programmes
- Innovation Programme
UCLG and OnCities2030, in collaboration with Cities Alliance and The Council of European Municipalities and Regions, launch the Urban Journalism Academy Series to empower journalists and media professionals in their coverage of urban development issues.
The Urban Journalism Academy Series is a one-day workshop for local and international journalists and media professionals interested in enhancing their ability to cover and communicate sustainable urban development. It is planned as a space dedicated to urban communications and storytelling where participants can engage in debates, and share tools, successful stories, and experiences of urban coverage and campaigns to inspire a change in how urban topics are presented and discussed in the public arena.
Launched as part of the Media for Cities Campaign by UCLG and OnCities2030 in October 2022, the initiative aims to enhance understanding and provide accurate information about local efforts in achieving global agendas.
The Urban Journalism Academy Series will focus on changing the narrative surrounding sustainable urban development, SDG implementation, and the New Urban Agenda. It aims to translate complex variables into accessible information for citizens, highlighting the role of local and regional governments.
Through data-driven insights on local urban development trends and practices, attendees will gain a deeper understanding of the challenges and opportunities cities face today. The workshop will provide practical guidance on effective and ethical reporting methods.
Speakers and organizations, including leading experts in sustainable urban development and governance, will share their vision and strategies. The inaugural workshop will take place at the UN House in Brussels, in collaboration with Cities Alliance and The Council of European Municipalities and Regions.
- 10:00 a.m.: Welcome and opening session
- 10:15 a.m.: Exploring the role of the media in sustainable development and an overview of the Urban Journalism Academy Series objectives
- 10:30 a.m.: Understanding the local sustainable framework, the role of local and regional leaders, and the Municipal Forecast 2023
- 11:30 a.m.: Coffee-break
- 11:45 a.m.: Uncovering the complexities of reporting on global urban development and understanding urban dynamics beyond Europe
- 1:00 p.m.: Lunch
- 2:00 p.m.: Strategies and tools for effective Urban Journalism, including Solutions Journalism, storytelling, and communication for development
- 3:00 p.m.: Urban Journalism Capsules: Hearing from invited mayors and representatives of local and regional governments on their experiences in communicating urban transformations to media and citizens
- 4:00 p.m.: Coffee-break
- 4:15 p.m.: Open session for participants' contributions
- 4:45 p.m.: Closing remarks
- 4:45 p.m.: End of the workshop
This in-person event will be held in English.