- Our Programmes
- Global Programmes
- Country Programmes
- Our Themes
- Innovation Programme
Greg Munro, Director of Cities Alliance, facilitates the plenary session "Governing local and global realities as one: The Future of Government" at this year's UCLG Congress.
The session Governing local and global realities as one: The Future of Government, at the UCLG Congress 2022, will foster a dialogue between representatives of local and regional governments to address the role that local and regional governments will play in the multilateral system of the future. Open governance, emergency governance, development cooperation, local finance and the renewal of the international system will be at the core of the conversations, delivering specific recommendations for the movement to be adopted in the Pact for the Future.
The local and territorial level is critical to rethinking and reshaping governance systems into more inclusive ones. Responding to these calls and rebuilding trust between citizens, institutions and communities, at all levels, are determinant elements to achieving the global agendas. Citizens, and citizenship, through social movements and civil society, are increasingly calling for the transformation of governing systems.
In this regard, the Pact for the Future for Government calls for redefining governing in Partnership. The Pact for the Future will continue to put our communities at the core of decision-making mechanisms, building peace and prosperity in our cities and our regions.
The specific objects of this session are:
- Develop a consultation to ensure that the Compact contributes to the SDG Summit and the Future Summit, and to the preparation of the UN Pact for the Future.
- Identify common goals between local, regional and national governments to ensure the delivery of governing in partnership through the Pact;
- Explore the synergies between the municipal view on the renewal of governance and the UN Summit of the Future, as well as the recommendations of the UNSG’s Common Agenda.
This high-level event will include several contributions:
- Claudia López, Mayor of Bogotá
- Lucy Slack, Secretary General of the Commonwealth Local Governments Forum
- Marina Ponti, Director of the SDG Action Campaign
- Florencio Venté, Local Governments at United Nations Major Group for Children and Youth
- Genie Birch, President of the General Assembly of Partners
- Facilitated by: Greg Munro, Director of Cities Alliance
- Barthélémy Dias, Mayor of Dakar
- Souad Abderrahim, Mayor of Tunis
- Emilio Jatón, Mayor of Santa Fe
- Taneen Rudyk, President of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities and Councillor of Vegreville
- Yasutomo Suzuki, Mayor of Hamamatsu
- Rapporteur: María Fernanda Espinosa, President of the 73th UN General Assembly
Pledge for the Future of Government
- Ibrahim Ugur Altay, Mayor of Konya, UCLG Co-President
The 7th World Congress of UCLG in Daejeon, South Korea, will be held under the motto "Local and Regional Governments Breaking Though as One", aiming at bringing the local leadership and international actors together to meet a scenario of breakthrough. The session is planned as a landmark moment of consultation to ensure that the Pact for the Future of Humanity resonates with the Summit of the Future and the upcoming UN Pact for the future.