- Our Programmes
- Our Themes
- Country Activities
- Global Programmes
- Innovation Programme
Webinar on 29 January 2021, 3 pm CET / 9 am EST
Local Economic Acceleration through Partnerships (LEAP) is a Joint Venture of the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) and Cities Alliance. The project aims to support global and national dialogues addressing the obstacles to investment in rapidly growing cities by creating avenues for public-private partnerships. The project was implemented in four secondary cities of which two were in Ghana (Cape Coast and Agona Swedru) and two were in Uganda (Mbale and Gulu) in close collaboration with local and national governments in the two countries.
A key output of the LEAP project was the production of the report National Enablers for Infrastructure Investment and Economic Development in Secondary Cities in Ghana and Uganda. Produced by UNCDF and in collaboration with Cities Alliance, the report explores how national governments in developing countries can enable infrastructure financing and local economic development. Various options for financing infrastructure in Ghana and Uganda, are reviewed, with the objective of providing recommendations for the best options for the two countries.
This primary objective of this webinar is to launch the publication. The event will present the report and discuss obstacles to municipal infrastructure investments faced by rapidly urbanising cities in developing countries from both a policy and technical perspective.
Cities Alliance will be represented by Ghalia Rouane, Senior Local Economic Development Specialist and by our Director, William (Billy) Cobbett.
Other speakers include:
- David Jackson, Director, Local Development Finance, UNCDF
- Nii Moi Thompson, Technical Advisor, Local Development Finance, UNCDF
- Christel Alvergne, Team Lead for Africa, Local Development Finance, UNCDF
- Jaffer Machano, Global Program Manager, Municipal Investment Finance, Local Development Finance, UNCDF
- Dmitry Pozhidaev, Global Advisor, Government Finance, Local Development Finance, UNCDF
- Ishmael Nana Ogyefo, Coordinating Director, Agona Swedru, Ghana
- Richmond Yeboah, Investment Coordinator, Cape Coast, Ghana
- Edward Gwavu Kiwanuka, City Town Clerk, Gulu City, Uganda
- Mabaala Richard Michael, The Principle Treasurer, Mbale City, Uganda
- Sylvanus Kofi Adzornu, Director Urban Development Unit, Ministry of Local Government & Rural Development, Ghana