Urban LandMark Resources on Tenure: How the poor access, hold and trade land (2007)
This research project investigated the extra-legal ways in which poor people access, trade and hold urban land in different types of settlements in the three South African metropolitan areas of Cape Town, Ekurhuleni and eThekwini. The types of settlements examined through a case study approach were informal settlements, recently allocated Reconstruction and Development Programme (RDP) housing projects, backyard shacks, an area under a traditional authority and an area of local council housing.
- Research summary booklet [788KB] by Colin Marx and Lauren Royston
- Synthesis report [1.26MB] by Colin Marx
- Review of relevant legislation [255KB] by Michael Kihato
- Literature review [653KB] by Colin Marx
- List of references [463KB]
- Research method and survey design [642KB] by Colin Marx