Quick Guides for Policy Makers: Housing the Poor in African Cities (Complete Set)
The Quick Guides on Housing the Poor in African Cities series aims to improve the understanding by policy makers at national and local levels of pro-poor housing and urban development within the framework of urban poverty reduction. The series consists of eight user-friendly guides, each one addressing a different topic related to low-income housing.
These Guides are based on a successful series Quick Guides for Policy Makers: Housing the Poor in Asian Cities, which was published jointly by UN-HABITAT and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) in 2009. Cities Alliance supported the production of the African series.
The Guides are available in English (below) and French.
Download the Quick Guides in English:
- Quick Guide 1: Urban Africa: Building with untapped potential (733 KB )
- Quick Guide 2: Low-Income Housing: Approaches to help the urban poor find adequate accommodation (974 KB )
- Quick Guide 3: Land: A crucial element in housing the poor (600 KB )
- Quick Guide 4: Eviction: Alternatives to the destruction of urban poor communities (924 KB )
- Quick Guide 5: Housing Finance: Ways to help the poor pay for housing (626 KB )
- Quick Guide 6: Community-Based Organisations: The poor as agents of development (503 KB )
- Quick Guide 7: Rental housing: A much neglected housing option for the poor (784 KB )
- Quick Guide 8: Local government: Addressing urban challenges in a participatory and integrated way (733 KB )