- Our Programmes
- Innovation Programme
- Country Programmes
- Our Themes
- Global Programmes
“Reconstructing for a sustainable future: Building resilience through recovery in a COVID-19 Transformed World”
Organised by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) the World Reconstruction Conference WRC5, will focus on addressing unprecedented socio-economic recovery needs as a pathway to rebuilding a resilient and sustainable society in the post-Covid-19 world.
The conference will be organised under three sub-themes:
- Social, infrastructural and economic recovery from disasters as an opportunity to reset the development pathway towards a greener and resilient future,
- Addressing the social and economic effects and impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on “hard-won” development gains, and
- Rethinking recovery governance models: Planning, Financing and Managing recovery from complex and interconnected disaster-conflict events in the post-Covid-19 world.
Cities Alliance will be represented by Arne Janssen, Climate Change and Resilience lead, in a panel discussion on Responding to recovery challenges in the urban environment. He will provide lessons learned from our work in secondary cities and the role of informality for an inclusive and sustainable recovery.
The WRC5 will be organized in conjunction with the 7th Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR, May 23-28, 2022, Bali, Indonesia) and is aligned with the thematic focus of the GPDRR that is “From Risk to Resilience: Towards Sustainable Development for All in a COVID-19 Transformed World”. The WRC5 will be jointly hosted by UNDP, the World Bank (Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery, GFDRR) and UNDRR under the umbrella of the International Recovery Platform (IRP).
- Kazuko Kori, Mayor of Sendai City, Japan
- Patta Tope, former Head of Central Sulawesi Province Development Planning Agency
- Ares Gabás Masip, Chief Resilience Officer, Barcelona City Council
- Elizabeth Riley, Executive Director, Caribbean Disaster and Emergency Management Agency
- Arne Janssen, Climate Change and Resilience programme lead, Cities Alliance
- Saini Yang, Professor, Beijing Normal Univesity