- Our Programmes
- Our Themes
- Country Activities
- Global Programmes
- Innovation Programme
An event hosted by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and moderated by Cities Alliance at the UN High-Level Political Forum (HLPF).
Cities and urban areas are increasingly affected by the impacts of major global challenges. At the same time, these challenges are driving the development of innovative solutions in cities, providing the opportunity to create pathways towards sustainable, green and inclusive development worldwide.
Building on the momentum of the UN 2023 Water Conference and bringing together HPLF's focus on SDG 6 and SDG 11, the event will showcase the transformative potential of integrated urban development and sustainable water management for a just transition towards water-secure, climate-resilient and socially equitable cities, while leaving no one behind.
In this context, the event will also highlight the importance of equitable participation of vulnerable groups, e.g. those residing in informal settlements, women and girls, and the role of innovative financing mechanisms to catalyze sustainable, water and climate-resilient urban development.
The side event will bring together practitioners, high-level speakers from different levels of governments around the world and the UN system as well as renowned experts from related policy sectors to discuss the challenges and opportunities of inclusive and effective blue urban transformation around the globe.
- How can we accelerate the transformation towards water-secure, climate-resilient and ecologically sound cities?
- Which multistakeholder approaches and financial incentives can effectively address rising inequalities and the deterioration of environmental resources as crucial obstacles to sustainable urban development?
- Dr Bettina Hoffmann, Parliamentary State Secretary to the Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection
- Dr Bärbel Kofler, Parliamentary State Secretary, German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Maimunah Mohd Sharif, Executive Director UN-Habitat
- Senzo Mchunu, Minister of Water and Sanitation South Africa
- Joseph Muturi, Chair, Slum Dwellers International
Moderation: Dr Laura Lima, Head of Global Programs, Cities Alliance