Social Housing in São Paulo: Challenges and New Management Tools
The new publication highlights the second phase of the partnership between the Cities Alliance and the São Paulo Municipal Housing Secretariat (SEHAB), which is responsible for housing policy in the city.
The goal during this phase was to establish a set of management tools that would facilitate strategic, systematic planning for social housing in the municipality of São Paulo.
One of the most significant results was the creation of HABISP, an innovative information system that has become a valuable tool for urban development in São Paulo.
HABISP is a centralised database with information about the city’s precarious settlements—including favelas, informal land subdivisions and slum tenements—as well as government housing developments.
Because it is regularly updated by technical staff on the ground, Habisp provides a comprehensive, up-to-date view of the city’s settlements. It also permits monitoring indicators and ranking neighbourhoods based on a set of priority criteria. As a result, the municipality is able to focus its policies and resources on those areas that are most in need, according to different programmatic lines adopted.
HABISP has generated considerable interest internationally, and plans are currently underway to expand it to other cities in Brazil.
The Cities Alliance has collaborated with SEHAB on technical cooperation projects since 2001. The first phase of the partnership, from 2001 to 2004, was detailed in the publication Integrating the Poor: Urban Upgrading and Land Tenure Regularisation in the City of São Paulo.
Read Social Housing in São Paulo in English
- Introduction and Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Challenges Facing Housing Policy in the City of São Paulo
- Chapter 2: Partnership between the Municipality of São Paulo and the Cities Alliance
- Chapter 3: Dissemination of Results
- Chapter 4: Cities Alliance and São Paulo Housing Policy
- Final Comments
- Bibliography and References
Habitação de interesse social em São Paulo: desafios e novos instrumentos de gestão
- Capítulo 1: Os desafios da política habitacional no município de São Paulo
- Capítulo 2: A parceria entre o município de Sao Paulo e a Aliança de Cidades
- Capítulo 3: Disseminação dos resultados
- Capítulo 4: A Aliança de Cidades e a política habitacional de São Paulo
- Considerações Finais
- Referências bibliográficas