Cities Alliance Hiring Urban Economic Development Specialist
Vacancy code: VA/2019/B5117/17972
Duty station: Brussels, Belgium
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Contract level: TA - P3
Duration: 1 year (364 days)
Application period: 20 May 2019 to 2 June 2019
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on 2 June 2019.
- Establish and facilitate the delivery of agreed annual work plans of the JWP between DFID, other donors as appropriate, and the Cities Alliance, within tolerances. Collaboration with head of unit/supervisor to review the operational and strategic aspects of the proposed work packages;
- Strategic oversight and effective monitoring of JWP progress and implementation, development and delivery of the required products, taking corrective action as required;
- Prepare regular highlight reports to the director to monitor progress and flag emerging issues and risks;
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers;
- Contribute to current and future growth plans for the Cities Alliance, ensuring alignment with the Strategic Plan, and exploring funding opportunities for continuation of and follow-up to work on economic development in cities;
- Plan and manage all programme and project closure processes, in close cooperation with the Portfolio Management and Operations Unit.
Partnership, networking and advocacy
- Maintain a solid working relationship with the UK Department for International Development (DFID), other donors and key stakeholders of the JWP;
- Manage the information flows between the JWP Group, DFID, and country stakeholders;
- Actively seek out and follow up on business development opportunities related to economic development in cities and the themes of the JWP, including opportunities for subsequent JWP phases;
- Represent, as delegated by the Director or supervisor, the Cities Alliance in external meetings/bodies;
- Constitute the focal point of Cities Alliance members as designated by the Head of Unit/Supervisor.
Service delivery and quality assurance
- Ensure compliance with quality assurance mechanism for all processes and product delivery mechanisms including grants, procurements and deployment of consultants;
- Ensure that all expenditure comply with UNOPS/Cities Alliance Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR);
- Manage the JWP budget, cash flow and expenditures, in consultation with head of unit/supervisor, to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and consultants are issued on time.
Team Building and Personnel Management:
- Supervision of the work of support staff under the JWP project management team and related work packages;
- Manage, in coordination with head of unit/supervisor the use of a global roster of senior economists available for the deployment within the JWP and beyond.
- Keep abreast of and incorporate latest/best practices, approaches and technology to enhance the project delivery and results.
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=17972#1