2015 Catalytic Fund Call for Proposals
The deadline for applications is 8 May 2015, midnight, Central European Time. The total Call budget is USD 2 million. We expect to award 10-12 proposals.
Proposals should promote innovation and catalytic impact in support of the strategic goal of the Catalytic Fund, which is to stimulate transformational change in cities. Innovation is measured in the development of concepts, products and processes which are either new in absolute terms or a novelty in their application and adaptation to a different context. Innovation should also be able to create societal value and trigger longer-term impacts.
Proposals are requested on one or more of the following four focus areas. They can focus on international and/or internal migration, but all proposals should demonstrate clear attention to the issue of gender equality. Additionally, proposals could also address the special needs, capacities and potential of the most vulnerable migrant groups (such as children).
1. Live: Migrants’ access to basic urban services, livelihoods and social protection
2. Work: The access, integration and role of migrants in the city labour market and local economy
3. Connect: Social integration and inclusion of migrants in the city
4. Participate: Migrants’ inclusion into city planning and local decision-making processes
Proposed projects must:
- Meet the objectives of the chosen theme and the Catalytic Fund in general. It must also fall within the scope of the Cities Alliance Charter.
- Limit grant size requests to between US $50,000 – US $200,000.
- Provide co-financing. Cities Alliance will cover up to 80 per cent of the total cash requirements for the project. The remaining balance must be contributed in cash by the recipient organisation, the sponsoring organisation and/or other partners and sources. If a concept note is approved for further processing, applicants must provide proof of co-financing.
- Be sponsored by at least one Cities Alliance member. However, multiple sponsors are strongly encouraged. Sponsorship(s) must be secured prior to submission of the proposed project. Proponent and sponsor(s) must discuss and endorse the Concept Note of the proposed project including the role of the sponsor(s) prior to submission. Support documentation will need to be provided.
All applications must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Deadline. All Concept Notes must be submitted by midnight 8 May 2015 Central European Time.
- Format. All submissions must use the Cities Alliance Concept Note template.
- Language. Concept Notes can be in English, French or Spanish.
- Completeness. Concept Notes must provide all of the information and support documentation requested.
- Submission via e-mail. Concept Notes should be submitted via e-mail only to the Cities Alliance Secretariat at CATF@citiesalliance.org by the 8 May 2015 deadline.
The Catalytic Fund is a Cities Alliance funding instrument which provides grant support for innovative projects that strengthen and promote the role of cities in poverty reduction and in sustainable urban development.
As part of its strategic goals, the Catalytic Fund places great emphasis on the idea of innovation and how it can be used to promote transformational change. However, a new idea or approach can only generate impact under effective operational conditions and where local ownership is promoted. Innovation, impact and implementation conditions are a central part of the selection criteria, which are used to assess the project.
For more about the CATF, its principles and the evaluation process for applications, see the CATF Overview.
From Innovation to Catalytic Change
Within the CATF, innovation refers to the development of concepts, products and processes that are either new in absolute terms or a novelty in their application and adaptation to a different context.
For the CATF, innovation is not an end in itself, but is part of longer term change. In other words, innovation has to be able to create socie